Wednesday, September 8, 2010

What can I say?

I know that it has been another year since I posted. I really wanted to keep up with the whole "blog world", but I just can't seem to do it. I don't feel guilty. Not keeping up with the blog just means that I am WAY TOO BUSY with other things.

I have decided that I will just post a "Top Ten" list for my new post.

Top Ten Things My Boys Have Taught Me

#1 Never (and I mean EVER) have nice stuff. Not a good vase, nice pictures on the walls, good clothes, or even nice snacks. They will get broken, ruined, eaten, smashed, or otherwise become unrecognizeable. It just happens. I actually cried the other day because something (now I can't remember what) was broken. It just happens. The best saying I have ever heard is "Boys--noise with dirt on it". SO TRUE!

#2 Always ask your boys how you look. They will make you feel better. Even on my worst hair day, or a day when I am feeling fat or silly, I ask my sweet little boys, and they say "Mommy you are beautiful!" Love it.

#3 Always trust your mommy instinct. If you think something is wrong, it probably is. If you think they have flushed something valuable, they probably have.

#4 Make them use their manners. There is nothing better than being at a resturaunt, and your child says, "Yes, m'am, I would like mac and cheese." The look on the wait staff's face was great. She just smiled, and smiled, and smiled. And deep down I felt like "Yes, all of those timeouts just paid off!"

#5 Try to keep a journal. I am not the best about this, but I really try to write down the funny things they say. Like "Did you know that we have a vampire in our class?" "Really, Russell?" "Yep, she has a whole lot of gold teeth so she must be a vampire." Or "Okay Tootie Pootie" which is said to EVERYONE that is around (wilson) no matter if we are at WalMart or if he is with Grandmother at the Library.

#6 Being out numbered has it advandtages. I can always play the "oh mommy can't tackle/box/hit/jump/whatever because she is a girl. Why don't you wait and ambush Daddy?"

#7 Embrace whatever interests they have at that time. They change favorites so quickly, it will only stay around for a short amount of time. So if they enjoy picking their noses---oh wait--don't indulge that one. If they enjoy super heros, allow them to jump off of the couch. If they enjoy dancing, be sure to grab the video camera. If they like your clothes, well indulge them , but make sure to watch it!

#8 It is never appropriate for your Kindergarten student to sing the Hannah Montana theme song at lunch. Just in case you ever need to put that rule in place, just tell the little ones--it will get you 5 minutes under the tree at recess.

#9 Invest in LOTS of clothes. they get ruined really fast with no real reason. Even the activities that seem "safe and clean" can come out with torn shirts, stained pants, or otherwise RUINED clothes. And that is okay. Just DON'T invest in really expensive clothes.

#10 Cherish all of the moments. Even the really tough ones, you know the ones where you want to cry but have to be tough. I can't even tell you how quickly the last 5 years have passed. I have a Kindergarten student and another cutie that started "big school" at day care. I have always heard how quickly it passes, but to experience the speed takes my breath away. Snuggle, smell, kiss, squeeze--do whatever it takes to keep that sweet baby smell in the front of your brain. You will need it later (note number 1).

ps. We have decided that 2 is good. I am not saying NEVER, but for now we are happy with two. Our two boys keep us so busy (not to mention football) that I can't imagine throwing another person into the mix. Hope this finds everyone healthy, happy, and full of love!

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Yay, your back!!! Love your top 10!! Your boys are getting sooooo big, they are stinkin cute!!! XXOO