Saturday, October 2, 2010

The Pumpkin Patch

Today we decided to have a family adventure to the Wild Things Farm and Pumpkin Patch. We were joined by the Stewart family as well. I heard about this wonderful place through our Kindergarten teachers. They take the whole all of the Kindergarten students each year. I wasn't sure what to expect, but when I looked at the website it looked pretty cool. We made the executive decision NOT to do the corn maze (thank goodness for me and my claustrophobia!).
As soon as we arrived we were surprised by goats, pigs, and roosters! Someone had invented a very awesome way to feed the goats (they like to climb up these ladders like things). Of course we had to try it out!

Then we found a cow milking simulator. It was a wooden cut-out of a cow that had the "instruments" you could pull on to milk. It was actually hooked up to a water hose, but the boys thought it was hilarious!!

There were also little games the kids could play like duck races (with real water pumps) and pig races. You had to turn the pigs tail to get the numbered pigs to race. Wilson was not pleased that he couldn't figure out how to work the game. He also hadn't had a nap before we left, so EVERYTHING was a battle. Just check out the mean face he is making!

Unfortunately, I didn't get any pictures of the corn shooter. It was a neat contraption that they stuffed corn down, and you could shoot the corn cobs at targets in a field. I think the grown boys had more fun with this game than the younger ones!
Next up was picking pumpkins. I wanted the boys to each get a small pumpkin that we could paint, one large pumpkin for carving (closer to Halloween), and I wanted some fall decorative items for the front porch. I would say were were successful.

Russell picked the Jack-o-lantern pumpkin, and he did a fine job. I think we can turn it into something extremely spooky.
Wilson found the largest pumpkin out there and declared "This is mine". He was sorely disappointed when I told him it was only for display, and there was no way in the world we were taking it home.

The boys found a "fort" to storm, and they were quite hilarious acting like they had conquered the world.

We were also able to take a good fall family picture while were there. And a funny one with Russell as a farmer on a tractor.

No comments: