Sunday, May 12, 2013

My birthay celebrations-- Part 1

Okay, so I have decided to try this blog thing one more time. This time around I hope I have a different attitude towards writing. We can only wait and see.

This past month I had a birthday. You would have thought by the celebrations that it was a big birthday. You know, the kind that end in either a 5 or a 0. No, I was turning 34, but my students and husband treated me to an impressive few days. My homeroom mom went out of her way to make sure we celebrated my birthday in style. I can't tell you how much I appreciate her and everything she does for us. I went for many a year without parent support in the classroom. To have parents that will offer to do things is precious. My students are also a serious blessing. They planned most of the day, and they were hilarious. 

We started the day with the secretary stopping me in the office to "dress" me in a green grass skirt and flower lei. She told me that I wasn't allowed to go down to my classroom until the tardy bell. If anyone knows me they know that I started to panic. I wasn't worried about what was going on in my classroom exactly, I was more worried about being late. OCD much? Once I was allowed to go to my room, I was bombarded by students in the hallway wishing me "Happy Birthday!" It was overwhelming in the best of ways.

I get to my room to see it decorated with streamers and blow up flamingos and palm trees. All of my students are in mix-matched clothing, crazy socks and tennis shoes or flip flops. It is hilarious to see, but still I am overwhelmed! We had donuts and juice, enjoyed the moment, and then I made the "list". I had  a list made of things that we needed to accomplish for the day. It really wasn't extensive or difficult, but there were things that needed to happen. Little did I know what was in store for me.

At 8:51 am someone's cell phone alarm went off. See, I let my students have their cell phones, and really, the district wants them to use their own devices. Usually I ask that they are on silent, and I check to make sure they are using them correctly. So needless to say I was surprised when the alarm when off. A few students jumped out of their seats, and suddenly, they were all doing the Harlem Shake. Every 30-45 minutes an alarm went  off and the same thing happened. A couple of students would bring me a present, and they would  read a note to me. All day long I received presents, watched my students dance, and enjoyed  my birthday!

The gifts that I received from my class were all of my favorite things. I got animal print, Target, Starbucks, Red Lobster, hot pink and baby blue, snacks, cherry lemonades, yellow butterflies, and so much more. I really can't believe all of the awesomeness that I unwrapped!

Up Next is Part 2--My weekend away in Eureka Springs

No comments: