Monday, September 27, 2010

Cell Phone Plan

Okay, so this has nothing to do with my kids, or my job, or football, but it has been weighing heavily on my mind.

We received our monthly cell phone/tv/Internet bill and were astounded to find it almost $200 more than normal. Considering we have already added unlimited texting (what can I say, sometimes I don't want to talk to people, SHOCKING I KNOW), I really couldn't figure out why the bill would be so much. We do enjoy "renting movies off" like Russell says, but there is no way that we rented that many. When dissecting the bill, I realized that suddenly we were being charged for our daytime minutes.

I knew that I was going to have to be the one to call the cell phone company. First of all, the bill is actually in my name. Second, I wanted it taken care of sooner rather than later. So I settled in for a long winter's nap--oh wait, that is a different story. No, really, I settled in when I knew I had some time and waited for a live person (speaking English) to answer the phone. There were two ways I could approach the situation. I could "let them have it" like Justin thought, or I could be "PROACTIVE" as I learned this summer. I chose the later. Well, low and behold, it actually worked.

The very nice and helpful representative said that our plan had expired, and that we needed to sign up for a new plan. Seeing as how we don't have a home phone, I opted for the plan that allowed us to have PLENTY of minutes, and we were able to name 10 numbers as "mobile to mobile". FANTASTIC! She was also so kind as to back date the plan so it would get rid of the overages that were occurred, and we should see a credit on our next bill.

Now to the difficult situation. Those stinkin' 10 numbers that we had to choose. How to limit your top 10 people? Especially since we only had 10 numbers to be shared? So I sat down with my recent calls while Justin did the same, and we figured out who we called the most. It really wasn't hard to pick the first 5 or 6 numbers--they were pretty much all family. Those last 4 numbers were more tricky. Not that anyone would know if we picked them (or didn't for that matter), but I kept feeling that pang of guilt. What if this month I talk to so and so more than such and such, but next month, what if it changes. Well, evidentally the phone company had already thought of that! When I added our 10 people, it so kindly told me that I could change them as needed. Thanks so much!

I feel so much better knowing that I don't have to choose people forever. I mean I had to do that once, and I made a really good choice, but what if I messed this one up? PRESSURE!

No comments: