Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Our dog, Sandy

We recently adopted a new family member (it was January, but still). She is the sweetest, and I am happy to finally have another female around the house. We have always told the boys that when R is 8 and W is 5, we will get a dog. Well, Justin actually agreed to "Laura" (her name originally). She was pretty shy at first, but she is getting better around men. From the beginning, Sandy has followed  me wherever I go though. She wants to be right there with me, so much that she is pretty jealous of Justin.

sorry so blurry
 

She has adapted well and has only had a few accidents in the house. She is very territorial, but I think that is the German Shepard in her. She is a mix of GS and Chow, but I think now that she has lost most of her undercoat that she looks more like a Shepard. Her previous owners left her on the side of the road because she was preggers. Sad story, but we love on her all the time to try and make up for it. Sandy is really good with the boys. She even helps me read to them at night. I think she will end up being more snuggly, but right now she likes to just sit near you. She also really loves to go on walks (and isn't too bad on the leash or your arm).
our very first walk as a family
 

Having a dog has completed something in our family that I can't quite describe. I guess we didn't know we were missing something until we found Sandy. I am overjoyed by the affection my boys show her, and she in returns shows them.
you can't come between the love of a boy and his dog
 
I would really encourage anyone who is thinking about getting a dog to check out your local pet store. We adopted Sandy from a rescue group outside of Petco. I have taken the boys many a Saturday to meet dogs from different rescue groups in the area. I knew all along that we wanted to adopt (not get a puppy), and I wanted my boys to experience many different types of dogs. We have walked Mastiffs and Labs, and we have played with smaller ones. I wanted a medium to large dog because the size of our yard would allow for it and because my boys needed someone who could withstand their wild tendencies. I am so glad that my boys get to grow up with a loyal companion.


1 comment:

LG @ thelaurelgazette.com said...

I love this - I was never a "dog person" but I've fallen hopelessly in love with my boyfriend's dog. He's a GS/Akita mix, also a rescue, and is so sweet and loyal. I completely understand what you mean about Sandy changing your family, and I'm so happy for you guys!